If you're active on any kind of social media - Instagram and Tumblr in particular, you've most likely seen smoothie bowls appearing on all your news feeds and dashboards. I myself didn't get the hype around these bowls at first - I always liked smoothies (who doesn't, anyway?) but I never saw the appeal of... well, spooning a smoothie out of a bowl. Really, smoothie bowls are blended fruit topped with more fruit, it's basically a liquid fruit salad? But oh was I wrong, I didn't know what I was missing out on until I finally made my first smoothie bowl for breakfast one day. What's so lovely about them is that you can make the simplest base (the smoothie itself) and then go cray cray with toppings! Since I've been eating them almost every morning over the last couple of weeks, I thought I'd share my current favourite smoothie bowl with you today.
- 3-4 bananas (keep about half a banana to use as topping)
- handful of strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- handful of ice cubes (optional but I like to add a few to cool it down a little bit)
- a splash of plantbased milk - I particularly like oat milk or coconut mill
- half a banana
- handful of strawberries
- half a passion fruit
- coconut chips
- (raspberries - I conveniently had these in the fridge today)
- Blend the ingredients for the base until you have a thick, smooth consistency (add liquid if you'd like it to be less thick) and pour it into a big bowl.
- Spread the toppings on top of the bowl either artistically (for an Instagram worthy picture) or just throw them all on top (if you're simply too hungry and impatient) and enjoy!
Other toppings I use or often see others putting on top of their smoothies are nuts (cashews, walnuts, almonds), flaxseed, chia seeds, grapes and any other fruit you fancy, really!